Thursday 25 October 2007

Chicken Out!

This Post was written by Sarah from Eating Britain


Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and River Cottage have just launched a campaign called Chicken Out! Their wish is to change the way chicken is mass produced in this country and encourage people like you and me to buy free-range chicken and eggs. In Britain we consume over 850 million chickens each year and 95% of those are intensively farmed. The campaign aims to acquire at least half a million signatures of support, which will then be sent to governing bodies and supermarkets to demonstrate public and consumer feelings on this subject, and hopefully set a change in the way chicken and eggs are produced in Britain.

I think this is a very worthy campaign and with enough support I believe it could really make a difference. Supermarkets have already taken notice of our desire to eat more organic and locally sourced food, so they will have no choice but to take these views into account too. I have signed-up in support of the Chicken Out! campaign on the website and I've already printed the campaign poster which I'll be posting on the notice board at work and anywhere else I can think of!

If you'd like to know more about the campaign, take a look at this personal message from Hugh and then, if you wish, visit the website and add your support.

What better place to encourage support for this campaign, here at the UK Food Bloggers Association.

Consumer opinion does make a difference, so have your say and help to make a change!


1 comment:

Niamheen said...

Absolutely! I am on his mailing list and signed up immediately. I hope that they get lots of support.