Tuesday 23 October 2007

An Introduction from Alice of TheAlice.co.uk

This Post was written by Alice from TheAlice

1. Where are you based? A mile or so outside of Nottingham’s city centre. I’m lucky enough to live within walking distance of some great bars and restaurants but still live in a house with a garden full of fruit trees (at last count – apple, pear and cherry) and herbs. I have lived here for 4 years and grew up in the Cotswolds, otherwise known as the middle of nowhere. I live with my fiancé Will and our Springer Spaniel Oscar, both of whom love food as much as I do!

2. How long have you been blogging? I learned webdesign as a bored 10 year old and have had a presence on the web ever since then. My first blog started in circa ’99 but as I grew up and stopped being a student with endless amounts of time blogging dropped down in my list of priorities. Thealice.co.uk has been in existence for one year and has been used as a food blog since the beginning of September. Now I’ve found a use for it that I love, I hope to carry on for as long as I can type!

3. What's the best thing about food blogging? Having that little bit of friendly pressure to cook something different; if my food blog wasn’t there I don’t think I’d be nearly as adventurous with my cooking. I also adore reading other’s food blogs and I currently have LOADS of recipes bookmarked that I need to have a go at!

4. What's the worst thing about food blogging? Finding the oomph to type up recipes after eating; usually prime time for lying back on the sofa with a glass of red wine!! I also have to keep my camera on top of the microwave so that I don’t eat the food before I take a photo.

5. What inspires you to cook and write? I have always had an interest in food and I find cooking is a wonderful way to relax. I also hate the current trend for eating ready meals and pride myself on the fact that I always know exactly what is in 99% of my meals.
I have always loved writing (and would love to write for a living one day) but haven’t had time for it since I stepped into ‘the real world’ of having a full time job. Cooking and writing combined allows me to write enthusiastically about a hobby I love.

6. Where do you like to blog? I blog a bit in my lunch hour at work (if I get one) or on the sofa at home with my laptop on my knees and the dog at my feet.

7. What's your signature dish? I do a wonderful Apple Sponge that my friends always beg for when they come round for tea or my mum’s Lasagne with home-made garlic bread. I also make a mean Victoria sponge cake!

8. What about you might it surprise other bloggers to know? I plan my meals with military precision and write up on a blackboard at the beginning of the week what we will be eating – I’m only able to visit our local butcher and greengrocer on a Saturday and I find this keeps me focused and organized. I have put on two stone ever since meeting my fiancé the food lover; at the moment we are both working on portion control. I also can’t wait to start a family so I can cook lots of wonderful children’s food!

2 comments:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I enjoyed your post Alice. I like the idea of the blackboard. I am catching my tail a lot with my meal planning and need to be more organised, so maybe I should think of a blackboard too!

Niamheen said...

Wow! So organised. I aspire to that level of organisation. Welcome to the fold :)